After years of heavy traffic, carpet can get very worn down and will eventually need to be replaced. To save a little bit of money, a lot of homeowners opt to remove the old carpet themselves, which is a great DIY project but a lot of people do not know how to remove carpet properly. With these tips, you’ll have yours removed without damaging the underlying floor or the walls in your home!
Tools You Will Need to Remove Your Carpet
The first step to doing any project properly is to make sure you are prepared with the proper tools to do it. There are only a few essential tools you will need to pull up your own carpet. Before you begin tearing up your carpet, make sure you have the following on hand:
- Protective gloves
- Protective eyewear
- Utility knife
- Floor scraper
Tips for Removing Your Carpet
The key to removing a carpet is to work efficiently and use your tools properly. Follow our tips to have your carpet removed in no time!
- Wear all protective eyewear and gloves as soon as you begin the project to avoid dust or allergen irritation.
- Make sure all furniture is cleared from the room to make the removal process easier and faster.
- Remove and baseboards/moldings/heater covers that might be covering the edges of your carpet.
- Start with the pulling up the edge of the carpet using your pliers.
- Use your crowbar to pull up the tack strips that are holding down your carpet.
- As you pull up the carpet, use your utility knife to cut it into small pieces to make it easier to carry out of the room.
- If the carpet padding is held down with staples, use your pliers to pull them out; if it’s glued down, use a floor scraper to pull it up.
Disposing of Your Old Carpet
Once you’ve removed your carpet, the next step is to dispose of it. There is likely a lot of debris leftover, and more than your town or private trash route will take. Hiring a professional junk removal service gets the old carpet out of your home so that you can move onto installing your new floors. To ensure it is disposed of through the proper channels and to avoid frustration, call our team at Elite Services Junk Removal & Demolition today at 978-317-5388.